Cushing syndrome, also referred to as hypercortisolism, is a disorder that occurs when too much cortisol is produced in the body over a long period of time. It can happen for a variety of reasons though some of the most common causes are typically the use of oral corticosteroid medication or when your body simply makes too much cortisol itself .
Cushing syndrome symptoms
The signs and symptoms of Cushing syndrome can vary depending on the person as well as how high the levels of cortisol actually are . With that in mind, there are some common indicators to be aware of, these include:
- Weight gain
- Fragile skin
- A ‘buffalo hump’ between the shoulders
- Slow healing of cuts, bites or infections
- Severe fatigue
- Muscle weakness
Cushing syndrome causes
Two of the most common causes of Cushing syndrome are the long-term use of oral corticosteroid medication and your body's own overproduction of the hormone - this overproduction typically occurs as a result of certain types of tumors, these include :
- Pituitary gland tumor
- ACTH-secreting tumor
- Adrenal tumors
If you are experiencing signs or symptoms of Cushing syndrome, it’s important to know more. This can be done by taking a trip to the doctor or from home with an at-home lab test.
LetsGetChecked’s at-home Cortisol Test can measure adrenal performance or stress with online results available within 2-5 days and access to our medical experts every step of the way.
You should consider taking the test if:
- You constantly feel run down
- You are body-building competitively
- You are presenting with symptoms of Cushing syndrome
- You have Cushing syndrome
- You are presenting with symptoms of Addison's disease
- You have Addison's disease
- You take or have been taking testosterone