The herpes simplex virus is the cause of both genital herpes and oral herpes. While genital herpes is caused by both herpes simplex type 1 and herpes simplex type 2, oral herpes is usually a result of the former and can sometimes cause genital herpes.
Though you might not realise it - Herpes is more common than you think. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one out of every six people aged 14 to 49 years have the infection in the United States .
How do you check for Herpes from home?
While the correct use of protection is one of the best ways to protect yourself, not all herpes sores occur in areas covered by a condom and the best way to check for Herpes from home is with an at-home STI test.
LetsGetChecked’s range of at-home STI Tests detect the most common sexually transmitted infections. Testing for Herpes will involve a simple urine sample or finger prick from home, with free shipping back to the lab and results available online within 5 days.
Indicators of Herpes
Genital Herpes can cause pain, itching and sores in your genital area though sometimes, like many other STIs, you may experience no symptoms at all - making it extremely important to practice safe sex and test regularly.
If you do experience symptoms, they may include:
- Pain or itching in your genital area
- Small red bumps or tiny white blisters
If you’ve been experiencing symptoms of Herpes, taking a test is the best way to know more. The most reliable way to check for Herpes from home is with an at-home STI test.
You should take the LetsGetChecked STI Test if:
- You become sexually active
- You’ve had unprotected sex
- You’re experiencing symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection
- You’re entering into a new sexual relationship
- You have received a notification from a previous partner that they are infected (STIs can remain dormant for years and/ or take up to three weeks to become detectable.)