Hemochromatosis, often referred to as hereditary hemochromatosis, is an inherited condition which causes your body to absorb too much iron from the foods you consume. This build up of iron over time can cause quite unpleasant symptoms, from fatigue to joint pain.
Hereditary hemochromatosis symptoms
According to Mayo Clinic, it’s possible for people with hereditary hemochromatosis to experience little to no symptoms . Although, if symptoms do appear, they tend to include:
- Joint pain
- Loss of sex drive
- Weight loss
Hereditary hemochromatosis causes
As the name suggests, hemochromatosis is passed on from parents to their children. It’s essentially a mutation in the gene that controls how the body absorbs iron from your diet. Although this is the most common cause, there are two other noteworthy causes :
- Excessive iron in the diet
- Multiple blood transfusions
One of the most reliable ways to know more about your iron levels is through regular testing. This can be done by taking a visit to your doctor or from the comfort of your own home with an at-home lab test.
LetsGetChecked’s at-home Iron Test can identify iron deficiencies in your body with online results available within 5 days. You should consider taking the test if:
- You are suffering from an iron deficiency
- You are suffering from hemochromatosis
- You are vegetarian
- You frequently donate blood
- You are suffering from fatigue, low energy or low mood
- You have a family history of hemochromatosis
- You are from Northern Europe, you are more likely to suffer from hemochromatosis
See also: How do you Check Iron Levels From Home?