Your thyroid is the small gland that sits in the lower part of your neck. It produces a specific group of hormones that control a number of your body’s functions, including your metabolic health . This is why, if your thyroid doesn’t release enough hormones (hypothyroidism), or is producing too much (hyperthyroidism), you’ll likely experience a whole host of signs and symptoms such as fatigue, unexplained changes in weight, and muscle weakness.
According to the American Thyroid Association, around 20 million people in the United States have some form of thyroid disease and up to 60% of these are unaware of their condition. If thyroid problems go undiagnosed and untreated, they can cause a range of complications; this why it’s so important to keep an eye on your thyroid health. So if you’re experiencing symptoms or you think something doesn’t feel right, you can check in on your thyroid from home with LetsGetChecked’s range of at-home Thyroid Tests.
How can I test my thyroid at home?
There are a number of factors that can affect your thyroid function; from certain conditions to surgery or medications. On top of that, there are also risk factors - these include family, history, age, and gender - with women five to eight times more likely to experience thyroid problems than men. The most reliable way to know more about your thyroid health is with a simple blood test.
The most common type of thyroid test is a blood test which checks for specific biomarkers to get an insight into your thyroid health. These tests typically measure thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), T4, and T3. This test can be taken with your doctor but if you would prefer to check from home, this test can be taken using an at-home lab test.
LetsGetChecked’s range of at-home Thyroid Tests measure key hormones and antibodies to help identify the presence of a thyroid disorder, such as hyperthyroidism (an over-active thyroid) or hypothyroidism (an under-active thyroid).
The test will arrive in discreet packaging with a return envelope and clear instructions inside. Online test results will be available within 2-5 days and our dedicated clinical team will be available throughout the process for support and guidance and will be available to speak with you about your results and the next steps you should take. If you would like more detail about the sampling process, find out more here.
What are the signs of thyroid problems?
Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid) occurs when the thyroid gland is not producing a sufficient level of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3).
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism include:
- Weight gain
- Fatigue or feeling tired all the time
- Slow pulse or heart rate
- Hair loss or thinning
- Poor tolerance of the cold
- Dry, coarse, or thickened skin
- Hand tingling or pain (carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Irregular period or low sex drive
- Muscle cramps
- Impaired memory
Hyperthyroidism (Overactive Thyroid) occurs when the thyroid gland produces an excessive level of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3).
Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism include:
- Weight loss
- Fatigue or feeling tired all the time
- Increase or rapid heart rate
- Tremors (usually in the hands)
- Heat intolerance or excessive sweating
- Difficulty sleeping
- Excessive sweating or fever
- Frequent bowel movements or diarrhea
- Irregular period
- Low sex drive
- Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
- Eye condition related to hyperthyroidism
LetsGetChecked’s at-home Thyroid Test will determine how your thyroid is performing by looking at thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), free thyroxine (T4), and free triiodothyronine (T3). TSH is produced by the pituitary gland in the brain and it controls the production of T3 and T4 from the Thyroid gland. The process is simple:
- The test is shipped directly to you by next day delivery
- Activate your test and answer a few health-related questions
- Your health record will be reviewed by a medical team member and should you need any support services, they will be provided
- Collect your sample at a time that suits you
- Send your sample back to our laboratory using the pre-paid shipping label provided
- Your sample will be processed in an anonymous and timely manner
- Your results will be reviewed by our team of doctors. A member of our nursing team will contact you to deliver your results, discuss any next steps and offer prescriptions in some cases
You should consider taking a test if:
- You should consider getting tested if you:
- Have symptoms of an overactive thyroid
- Have symptoms of an underactive thyroid
- Have a family history of thyroid conditions
- Have an autoimmune condition such as coeliac disease or type 1 diabetes